Downloads:
· 1: ]-ReApEr-[ (2) files
· 2: B_Gub (2) files
· 3: InJustBlade (2) files
· 4: RedRum (1) files

Total Downloads:
3 files downloaded 14 times

NTDgaming :: View topic - Cpu Wars
Forum Index  ·  Usergroups  ·  Members  ·  Profile  ·  Search  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Ranks  ·  Board Rules  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Log in

Search for at
NTDgaming Advanced Search

Cpu Wars
NTDgaming Forum Index -> Tech stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRum
Site Owner
Site Owner

usa.png

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:39 pm Post subject: No icon Cpu Wars Reply with quote

Let the CPU wars begin: AMD shows its Zen CPU can compete with Intel’s best
The first two Zens will feature an 8-core consumer chip and a 32-core server chip.

AMD on Thursday finally unveiled its new Zen microarchitecture, with a pair of CPUs that could put the company back into the fight with Intel’s best.

AMD said its Summit Ridge CPU, aimed at high-performance desktops, will pack 8 cores and feature simultaneous multi-threading technology to give it 16 threads of processing power

A second chip for servers, code-named Naples, will feature an astounding 32 cores with SMT, giving it 64 threads per CPU. SMT is similar to Intel’s Hyper-Threading technology, which splits a single core into two virtual cores for more performance.

To prove that Zen has the right stuff, AMD officials on Wednesday night demonstrated before a crowd of reporters and analysts that an 8-core Zen could run just as fast as Intel’s newest 8-core consumer Core i7 chip.

Why this matters: Up to now, some had speculated that Zen would fall short. Recently-leaked benchmarks seemed to indicate it was no better than Intel’s Haswell microarchitecture released more than two years ago. If other tests back up AMD’s demonstration, however, it appears to run neck-and-neck with the newly released Broadwell-E. If AMD can live up to its promise, it's great news for the company as well as for consumers.

Clock-for-clock, it’s looking fast
The demonstration used the multi-threaded Blender rendering application on two similarly configured PCs. One featured an engineering sample Summit Ridge chip, while the other featured a new Intel Broadwell-E Core i7-6900K CPU. While the Core i7-6900K can run up to 4GHz on some workloads, AMD conducted the test with both CPUs locked at 3GHz.

This methodology may seem unorthodox to some, but matching the chips clock-for-clock helps reveal their efficiencies. Conducting the test this way also helps AMD protect the final shipping clock speeds of the chips. In the demo, which was performed just once, the Zen finished a nose ahead of the Broadwell-E Core i7-6900K chip.

It’s just a single test on an unreleased CPU, and under the control of AMD. Still, the significance of the performance feat quells any fears that Zen would be the all-too-familiar “too little, too late” story from a company that has eaten Intel’s dust.

The demonstration exceeded the crowd’s expectations. “This is the most exciting AMD (CPU) launch in a decade,” said Kevin Krewell, principal analyst with Tirias Research, who attended the event. “They really have hit the mark on this.”

Performance, throughput and efficiency
AMD officials also lifted the curtain on Zen's completely new microarchitecture. Gone are the shared, clustered multi-thread cores of the previous Bulldozer and Piledriver designs—Zen’s cores are stand-alone cores with SMT. The chip is being fabbed by spin-off company Global Foundries on a 14nm process, using FinFet technology.

AMD CTO Mark Papermaster said the Zen core is about performance, throughput, and efficiency. Papermaster said Zen features a new high-performance cache, a greatly improved prefetcher, and a completely redesigned branch prediction unit.

This is a big deal for AMD, and Papermaster showed it. “It’s a thrill to tell you we fully validated our performance achievement,” he said, beaming. He also promised that AMD was just warming up. “We are back. I told you a year ago we are back. And I’m very happy to tell you we delivered that performance and the team is not stopping, they are full forward on the next-generation design."

The Summit Ridge chips are actually SoCs and will support DDR4, USB 3.1 10Gbps, NVMe, SATA Express and PCIe 3.0. Other details of Summit Ridge such as die size, transistor count and thermals weren’t released Wednesday night.

Naples brings 32 cores and 128 threads
It’s not just about the desktop, either. AMD also wowed the crowd by demonstrating its server-oriented Naples SoC running in a dual-processor system. With each Naples packing 32 cores and SMT, that means a Naples-based server would feature 128 threads of compute power.

Officials said Zen will continue to evolve—the new chip design will scale down to laptops sometime next year. But first AMD needs to ship these first Zen chips.

The consumer-focused Summit Ridge is expected to hit shelves in the first quarter of 2017, but AMD officials said some limited chips may ship in systems as soon as the end of this year. The server-oriented Naples chip would hit in the first half of 2017.
“I told you the best is yet to come,” said AMD CEO Lisa Su. “The next 12 months will be even more exciting.”
Visit poster's website
]-ReApEr-[

usa.png

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:36 am Post subject: No icon Re: Cpu Wars Reply with quote

Well my FX 8320 at 4.8ghz pails in comparison to my 5820k at stock speed. Hopefully they release something good. Not knocking em, my 8320 still runs any game but takes around 4v to run at that speed, I ran my 5820k at 4.5 at just 2v.. and reliably. I keep it at 4ghz at 1.2v
jonno

usa.png

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:05 am Post subject: No icon Re: Cpu Wars Reply with quote

Honestly, me and a close buddy did side by side video encoding benchmarks. My i7 6700k almost did circles around his 9590 except the 4k score, which he beat me by quite a margin. I don't have numbers, this was done by "hand time", IE, same task, measure the time by hand. No synthetic scores. i7 won 3 rounds. 4th round, rough measure, 10% advantage for encoding 4k vid. Which surprised me, after the first 3 tests. Since you've known me I've been a AMD kinda guy. But I recently built a mini box, and made it Intel and Nvidia. Intel, for it's offering (not price), does well. Extremely well. I think there still exists a gap, but for a lot of gamers, a good quad core from either will take you far. As for graphics, I recommend nVidia. I'm sure AMD has a trick up their sleeve, but as of now, my 970 is shat, and the market shows few cards that can outperform it per watt. Mainly nVidia. Again, I used to be biased. I guess now I'm just a fanboy. Still have AMD roots, because they rock, I just don't want to own a space heater lol
Visit member's Facebook: jonnnno MySpace Profile: Myspace?????
Sponsor
Gutshot

usa.png

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:04 am Post subject: No icon Re: Cpu Wars Reply with quote

My old 2600k is still kicking pretty well. Gonna stick with just a card upgrade. single 1070 should crank out just fine. I'm sticking with 1080p for the foreseeable future, as I love this monitor.
Viper

usa.png

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:07 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Cpu Wars Reply with quote

I will see what the future holds my 2600 and two 580's still will not break a sweat on bf4 on ultra,However that is only 1080p. Maybe I will upgrade to higher resolution monitor and then upgrade my cards but for now all is running perfect. I am a bit of a AMD fanboy myself but when AMD fell so far behind I could not bring myself to wait for the bulldozer fail. So 2600k it was!!
Visit poster's website
rosserracer

usa.png

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:32 am Post subject: No icon Re: Cpu Wars Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to the new AMD Zen.  They're so much cheaper than Intel that its hard not to buy it if its close.  I would probably already be in an AMD build but I have 4 1080p monitors and I stream to twitch sometimes. Right now I'm rockin' a i5 3570k @4.5 and 2x GTX 970 FTW 2.0s
Sponsor
RedRum
Site Owner
Site Owner

usa.png

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:51 am Post subject: No icon Re: Cpu Wars Reply with quote

Ok so I have to say it but AMD is back. Loving all the new tech they are bringing to the market, and alot of companies are jumping on board with AMD and now we have a choice. Intel is no longer the top dog, I think they caught with their pants down and don't know what to do. Cant believe the monster CPU that AMD just released AMD RYZEN Threadripper and cost alot less then Intels top CPU.

Let me know your thoughts guys let's talk tech

Visit poster's website
NTDgaming Forum Index ->  Tech stuff
Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: